Reconciliation in Christ المصالحة في المسيح

A blog site dedicated to showing the world the reconciliation that God offers to us and between us through the blood of Christ--the blood He shed in love for us and for all nations, to make us one with Him, and one in Him, for eternity.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Christians should be "slaves"

I wrote a response to a letter to the editor in my local paper a copule weeks ago; they didn't publish my response unfortunately. But I thought I'd put it here for you all. I should note that while I don't believe biblical teaching would preclude us from being involved politically in different ways (like Martin Luther King, Jr., or the abolitionists in England for example), we must always have an attitude of service, even "slavery," rather than seeking power for ourselves, which is idolatry.

---------------------------------------------

Dear Editor,

As an evangelical Christian, I've been greatly saddened to see the debate sparked by Mr. Richard Marelli's letter (toward bottom of page) on March 31st. Mr. Marelli seems to take pride in the political strength of the conservative Christian movement. I would advise him to read the words of our Lord who said, "My kingdom is not of this world" (John 18:36). Every time Christians have tried to make a political kingdom instead of a spiritual one, we've brought only oppression, violence and hypocrisy.

I do take issue with the extreme secular idea that any belief that's "religious" in nature should be barred from politics or public debate--why should "atheist" ideas be allowed and "religious" ideas not? Separation of church and state never meant or should mean separation of a religious person's own conscience from his or her politics. However, to brag about Christian political clout in order to intimidate others into submission is oppression, pure and simple. We should well learn from what Jesus warned his disciples before his death at the hands of politicians and religious leaders: “You know that those who are regarded as rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them. Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first must be slave of all. For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (Mark 10:42-45). If Christians want to make a real difference in this country, we'd better do like Jesus and become "slaves of all."

Seth Wilson

1 Comments:

Blogger Revelation 2:17 said...

my brother Seth, I understand your concern. I tried accessing the letter but was required to register prior, which I wished not. However, your concern is biblical. May the Lord encourage you and guide you in wisdom to serve and put the brethern in remembrence of "all the words of life". I have been praying for you. Go with God

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home