Reconciliation in Christ المصالحة في المسيح

A blog site dedicated to showing the world the reconciliation that God offers to us and between us through the blood of Christ--the blood He shed in love for us and for all nations, to make us one with Him, and one in Him, for eternity.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

South Asian slums

Dear brothers & sisters in Jesus,

I was looking today at pictures from the devastation of Katrina (a friend of mine's cousin is in New Orleans now, has a blog at gulfsails.blogspot.com). Afterwards I was looking at GFA's webpage at pictures from their slum ministry (http://www.gfa.org/gfa/slum_ministry), and I realized that daily life in the slums of South Asia looks considerably more devastated and impoverished than New Orleans even after a hurricane. (Granted, the ground is dry at least, but a lot of houses that would be considered "damaged beyond repair" in New Orleans would be in very good shape relative to the slums.)

I just want to encourage you all to look at some of the pictures of their slum ministry. The beautiful thing is that, despite the tremendous poverty (and the sickness, unemployment, and hopelessness that goes along with it), God is working to bring hope and joy to people there, through GFA's ministry and others. Jesus was a friend to the beggars and the hopeless--may we be so as well, wherever they are.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Seth

PS I have the opportunity to go to Louisiana this coming weekend with this friend I mentioned to deliver supplies and volunteer to watch over kids in the shelters--I'd be gone Friday afternoon to Monday evening, so I'd miss one day of class. Please pray that God's will would be done, and that if He wants me to go He'd give me favor with my Arabic teacher (which is my only real class on Monday), and also watch over us on the journey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home