Reconciliation in Christ المصالحة في المسيح

A blog site dedicated to showing the world the reconciliation that God offers to us and between us through the blood of Christ--the blood He shed in love for us and for all nations, to make us one with Him, and one in Him, for eternity.

Sunday, September 11, 2005

I like my church's music

Saludos,

In Tucson I've been attending a church called "Vineyard Christian Community," a lot of the people in my Graduate Christian Fellowship go there. They have great music!! Today we did a Juan Luis Guerra song (in English translation--"No hay nada imposible para tí"), a cool funky gospel song, a Salvador song, a song I hadn't heard since I was in Argentina (I never heard it in English, though I think it was probably English originally), and another translated song by Marcos Witt (Mexican worship leader). I remember the first time I went there they did "I Could Sing of Your Love Forever" with sort of a cantina southwest-style beat (reminded me of "Wasting Away Again in Margaritaville"), plus a cumbia song (¡¡que siga la CUUUUUMBIAAA!!). They've done other songs that remind me of the Doors' "Riders on the Storm" or U2, or Crosby, Stills & Nash. Overall they have a real southwest feel, the kind of songs you'd expect to hear on the border in the desert, driving at night and flipping through the radio channels. It's so great to have an interesting diversity of music, with good musicians too--the bass player and the drummer are both especially good. I actually talked to the bass player afterwards today, turns out he's the one who usually picks the songs, he grew up in Colombia to missionary parents (I could almost hear a Spanish accent in his English), so that's probably why he's acquainted with all this good Spanish worship music. It really lifts me up not only to be able to worship God and be reminded of His goodness and glory, but also do it in a way that reminds me of the cultural diversity of God's people. One really cool couple I met last week is Native American, there's a grad student from Madras, India, and lots of Hispanics. It's a fun place to be. :) (Though, of course, nothing really compares to being home at Indian Peaks.) :)

Peace be with y'all,

Seth

1 Comments:

Blogger Brian & Leslie Hailey said...

You like Juan Luis Guerra too? We have lots of things in common. He has written other beautiful songs to the Lord.

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home